Camshaft Sprocket Tensioning Rings

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Camshaft Sprocket Tensioning Rings
From: Fred Krampits <fred@hprrc725.rose.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 97 10:52:27 PST
Mailer: Elm [revision: 70.85]
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Installing my new timing chain and sprockets, I had ordered from the
exploded diagram in the MOSS catalog 2 Tensioning Rings made of
synthetic rubber for the Cam Sprocket. I also ordered the crank and cam
sprockets for my 1098CG motor. When my friend (a BMW mechanic by trade)
installed the cam sprocket he did not use these rings. We checked out
the old Cam Sprocket it didn't have the rings either. Am I in trouble
now, what do these rings do? Is it safe to drive my car like this? Does
the replacement cam sprocket from MOSS need these rings? Any help would
be greatly appreciated.

Fred Krampits

1963 Midget 1098CG