Re: front hub bearings

To: "Shawn J. Tobin" <tobisj@aud.alcatel.com>
Subject: Re: front hub bearings
From: Tom Shirley <tshirley@VoyagerOnline.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 17:31:13 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Shawn J. Tobin wrote:

> When I replace the front wheel bearings will I have to have them
> pressed in or can I just put them in the hubs with my fingers?

Hi Shawn,

I saved this post that Aron Travis sent out back in August. Thought you
might be interested in some options for bearings for the Spridget.

Aron Travis wrote:
> First, I switched the front ball bearings to tapered roller bearings.
> The Timken part numbers for these are;
> 05185 small race
> 05066 small bearing
> 07204 big race
> 07097 big bearing
> I feel that roller bearings are stronger, and better, as they allow
> a little 'float' with the front wheels, especially under side load.
> There is no price advantage to these bearings, it was all of about
> $1.50 cheaper total for the rollers compaired to the ball. I bought
> them at my local NAPA store, total w/seals was about $80. I did not
> use the spacer that goes between the stock ball bearings, as I feel
> that it would negate some of the reasons that I'm using rollers.
> The small race was a very tight fit in the hub, other than that they
> install just like any other tapered bearing. I'm planning on torqueing
> the spindle nut down to around 20-25 ftlbs, but I'll do a survey of
> my many shop manuals to get a 'average' value of torque for tapered
> bearings. Vince P. (the singing mechanic and a Sinatra nut), suggested
> this conversion origionally, and just torques the nut to feel.

>-Aron-
>"in a frenzy"

* Tom Shirley                                             *
* Sale Creek, TN (just north of Chattanooga)              *
* 72 Datsun 510 #18 (the race car)     71 MG Midget       *
* Visit the Nickel & Dime Racing website at               *
* http://www.Geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/1080        *