Re: Oil in the drum.

To: Dave Brown <davebrown1@earthlink.net>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Oil in the drum.
From: mumsy <mumford@rpi.edu>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 22:00:38 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
> a loose "countersunk screw retaining the half-shaft
> flange."

Isn't that a quote from a movie?

> Does this mean my axle oil seals are bad?

I didn't even know we had axle oil seals.  Huh.  Learn something new
everyday.

> Bearings?

Hopefully they're still there.

>  If yes, is this a doable job for the home mechanic?

Every job is doable for the home mechanic!

> manual lists 6 necessary  special service tools. I have a hammer.

There is a tool conversion at

http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/comics/sst.gif

that lists the modern equivalents to the special service tools.

> Should I hall my rear end to an expert?

Never.  I've learned that there are no such things as experts with MGs.
People say they've been working on british cars for 30 years and I take
my car to them and they ask me what size such and such part is on the
this-and-that.  I say thanks but no thanks.  If you've been working on
british cars for 30 years and you don't know the size of the bolt I'm
replacing, you're not worth my money.

> I do plan to clean the drums and replace the shoes.

Excellent.

> Thanks for any  advice you can give me.

I probably haven't helped any but I had fun answering.

eric in snowy troy, NY.

--
 __.o,\____  Go, Lil' Racer! * Eric C. Mumford
/__ \ /  _ ) 1979 MG Midget  * mumford@rpi.edu