Re: Safety issues

To: jphender@inav.net
Subject: Re: Safety issues
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 21:40:42 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

jphender@inav.net wrote:

> Can anyone give me some advice on how to make my Sprite safer without
> making it ugly? I don't want to start a debate on the inherent safety of
> Spridgets but there must be some features that a majority can agree upon.
>
> I haven't heard anyone say that a roll bar is a bad thing.  How high
> should it be?  Where should it be anchored?  Can/Should the windshield
> frame be beefed up?
>
> Is there anything in the suspension that should be modified to  lessen the
> risk of rollover?  How common is a rollover?
>
> Not worried about myself, just want my passengers to be comfortable and
> safe.
>
> Jim Henderson

 It sounds like you plan on doing some serious cornering.
The Sprite is much safer as far as roll over goes then any SUV (stupid ugly
vehicle)
Add a set of seatbelts and it is safer then most cars built in the last 20
years. (much thicker metal, hardly any plastic, etc.)
I saw a sprite roll over once many years ago, the guy had no roll bar, he got
out, brushed off, rubbed his skinned arm and asked for help to right the car
so he could drive away.
Reason for the rollover was a loose pinch bolt where the steering column joins
the rack, it worked loose got stuck, jammed his steering so he applied panic
pressure to the steering wheel to free it and over steered and finally lost
control.
Check them pinch bolts regularly, use grade 8 bolts when replacing and always
use a new nylock nut.
As far as a roll bar, it would help in a roll over but I have found them to do
more damage to the back of my head on every bump in the road. The bar has to
be low enough for the top to clear and that puts it dead center of the ole
noggin. (On me anyway, 5' 9")

26 years driving Sprites, a few accidents, no blood.

good luck
drive safe

--
Frank Clarici