Re: more brit terms

To: lmyer@qtm.net
Subject: Re: more brit terms
From: as@boris.umds.ac.uk (A.D.Smith)
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 13:47:59 GMT
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
More international confusion...

I've been looking at the camping fuels FAQ

   >>>I wouldn't think denatured alcohol would burn very well in a camping
stove -
   >>>I may be wrong.  Denatured alcohol is ethanol (what you drink) that you
   >>>don't have to pay liquor tax on because it has been denatured with another
   >>>substance (like isopropanol, acetone, ethyl acetate, etc), making it unfit
   >>>for human consumption.

Denatured alcohol (== Methylated spirits in the UK), burns fine in camp
stoves designed for it, most commonly in Europe is the Swedish "Trangia"
design. A great piece of kit that will burn in even the most ferocious
wind.

   >>>My guess - repeat, guess - is that they mean a light, pure petroleum
   >>>distillate such as Prep-Sol (body supply store) which dissolves wax and
oil
   >>>but is not as dangerous as working with volatile substances such as
gasoline
   >>>- and will leave no residue - but it still will burn about like kerosene
so
   >>>take proper precautions.  If the goal is for the thinner to evaporate,
this
   >>>should work well.

>From the FAQ again, it seems that White Spirit may be the same thing as
Coleman fuel.  I have no idea what Coleman put in their fuel, as it's
pretty rare here, but that could be place to look. The FAQ :

>>> Editors Note: "white spirit / white gas" confusion. (Dec 94)
>>> Depending on which country you are in, "white spirit" can be one of several
>>> substances. In the UK it is "turpentine substitute" ie.paint thinner and is
>>> not recommended for burning.
>>> In Australia it is a cleaning solvent but it is not the same as the stuff
>>> in the UK. Again it is not recommended for burning.
>>> In New Zealand white spirit used to be a common name for white gas but now
>>> days it may be mis-understood as meaning "turpentine substitute".

Confused ?  You will be....

Andy

Andy Castellano Smith.            | a.d.smith@umds.ac.uk
Computational Imaging Science.    | http://www-ipg.umds.ac.uk/a.d.smith/
5th Floor, Thomas Guy House       | tel. : 0171 955 4223
Guys Hospital, London SE1 9RT.    | fax. : 0171 378 7480

       1977 Chrome Bumper Midget "Mungo" for short.
DPO of 1975 Rubber Bumper Midget "Mary"  for short.