Engine RPM "Redline" - How to determine?

To: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Engine RPM "Redline" - How to determine?
From: mumsy <mumford@rpi.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 00:11:40 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi -

> My race Sprite runs all day at 7,500 RPM.

Okay, I have to ask.

I am new to rebuilding engines, rebuilding my 1500 now.

What determines how high you can rev your engine?  The red line, in
other words.  in stock form, my 1500 redlines at 5500 according to the
tach.

I'm putting in a beefier cam (Piper), weber DGV, bigger header, monza
1500 exhaust.  If I put stronger valve springs on the head, along with
all this stuff, would my redline go up?  I'm curious as to how the
redline is determined.

thanks!

eric
--