Re: Engine RPM "Redline" - How to determine?

To: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: Engine RPM "Redline" - How to determine?
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 02:03:28 -0600
Cc: mumsy <mumford@rpi.edu>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Ulix,

Knock on wood, but this engine was balaned 2 years ago wnen built, but
has had a trackside clutch & disc replaced, so the balance is suspect.

It has stock type AE flat top pistons.

Stock rods. 12.71 CR

Strap on center main bearing.

Has run at least 14 race weekends over the last 2 years... average miles
per race weekend...100.

Suffered through a spell of head gasket problems that were solved by
using a "moly" based lubricant while torquing the head... but for a 4 or
5 race period, went through 15 gaskets, and still saw that 7500 RPM
while at 240 degrees F.

Still has 65 lbs oil pressuure (redline synthetic)

We performed a leak down test on it late in the year mainly because of
guilt.... no leakdown.

Bottom line.... these are tough little SOBs... very capable of running
24 hour endurance races in race trim, at high RPM, and in their day,
would be driven to a from the track by members of the Healey team.

Build it carefully, use good oil, check your gauges, and flog it.

WST
Team Thicko