Re: Emissions stuff

To: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
Subject: Re: Emissions stuff
From: Dave Brown <davebrown1@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 23:53:16 -0800
Cc: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Chris has the right idea.
I replaced my Z-S and exhaust manifold with a DGV and Pierce intake manifold
sold a kit by NW imports ($350.00)

On the '78 & '79, the air pump goes directly into the exhaust header so you
won't have to worry about the air manifold into the head. You won't have
anything to plug when you put on the headers. (Pierce recommends using a
header so the intake manifold will fit properly.) Just take the air pump, tube
and header all off and store them somewhere just in case.

I haven't seen any float bowl vent on my Weber. I haven't smelled any unusual
fumes.

The PCV vent plugs into the air cleaner on the Weber (there is a conncetor
supplied.)
I plugged mine briefly and then engine did leak oil in odd places including
between head and block. (I think I already had a problem, but this sure helped
me diagnose a busted head gasket.)

I did install the purolator fuel flow meter.

When you put on the header, your flanged stock exhaust which bolts onto your
Cat pipe will suddenly have nothing to bolt to, since all the headers I have
seen (a small #) connect by sliding into an exhaust pipe which  angles up to
meet it  to the right of the engine, next to the oil pan. I got lucky, my
parts car came with a header in the trunk (but no head) and a large bore
exhaust with a  small 12" glass pack muffler. Sounded great, but also sounded
like a ticket. I went to a local, non-franchise muffler shop. After talking to
the guy about what I wanted, he put a second 20" glass-pack across the back
where the stock muffler goes. Result was a great sound in a free flow setup.
This is your chance to improve your exhaust system too.

I like the results. The instalation is straightforward and the engine
compartment looks much less cluttered. The car runs strong.

Only problem I haven't  figured out is that the choke (I got the manual)
doesn't work quite right. When you pull it out to start, the engine vaccum
will not pull the butterfly open and the engine won't run. (Don't seem to have
an air leak. suggestions?)

Good luck.

Dave