Re: More Christmas list

To: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: More Christmas list
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 1997 10:09:34 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Jeff,
I think a strobe light and dwell meter are great tools for adjusting the
ignition.  It becomes less of a hated job that way.  Don't buy really
cheap strobe lights (that get power from the spark plug wire), they are
so dim that they don't work.  Get the inductive kind.  I have a Sears
and I like it.  A tachometer is fairly worthless to me, but it usually
comes built into the dwell meter.
I have timed engines by sound and advance-until-it-pings before, but I
am having not much luck with this on my Sprite.  So I stick with my
timing light.  Of course I don't have a s much experience with this as
Frank (only my 3rd Spridget)...

I agree with Ron on the required carb tool wrench and the unisyn.  The
SU tool set comes with a jet centering tool, which can be handy, it also
comes with tubes that you can stick into the top of the pistons that
show you if the pistons go up and down in sync - not too useful if you
have a unisysn.

I bought a color tune and used it only once, I don't recommend it.
Follow the method outlined in the manuals.  It becomes much less obscure
after you have done it once.  Adjusting carbs can do wonders for smooth
idle etc.

                                                           '67 Sprite
                                                      needs carbs
adjusted