Re: V6 in a Midget

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, Mike Gigante <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Subject: Re: V6 in a Midget
From: Kevin Brown <MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 1997 17:58:34 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Mike Gigante wrote:

> The 4AGE Toyota motor comes in various versions for the MR2, the Corolla,
> the Corolla GTi and others I can't recall offhand. It is the 16V/20V 4
> cylinder
> fuel injected motor. While it is notionally a FWD motor, other toyota boxes
> are apparently bolt-ons to cater for RWD. Jeff Smith has the ~ 80Kw version
> in his racecar - that is the 16V Corolla version. He used the older and
> weaker
> RWD corolla gearbox so that it would fit without tunnel mods. It lasted a
> full
> season of competition before it broke but would probably last forever in
> normal
> road use. He is now getting the local gearbox whiz to make up a
> high-strength
> straight-cut gearset for that box and will probably put the 20V 100Kw MR2
> motor in before next season...
>
> If people are interested, I can take a few photos and get the details from
> Jeff and
> load them up to the club's web site.
>
> Let me know...

> Mike Gigante                                       mikeg@vicnet.net.au
> Watsons Creek Vineyard                     http://www.vicnet.net.au/~mikeg

I have a 4 AGE motor in my '89 MR2 -- it's a great motor in that car and
should be really great in the lighter Midget.  The motor doesn't have a
lot of low end torque, but it loves to be reved.  It has a 7500 rpm
redline and is very happy to be around 5 - 6000 rpm for fast driving on
twisty roads.  I didn't realize you could rwd mode (even though the MR2
is rwd, it is a mid-engine car with what is esentially a fwd
drivetrain).

Kevin Brown  '65 Sprite '71MGB '74 MGBGT '74 TR6 '76 TR6 '89 MR2 '97 Z28
Odessa, MO    9 other asorted MGBs