Re: Datsun 5-Speed

Subject: Re: Datsun 5-Speed
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 10:49:42 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On Thu, 4 Dec 1997, Larry and Sandi Miller wrote:

> O.K., I got the Datsun 5-Speed today and have some questions for those of
> you that have done the conversion.
>
> 1. The oil fill appears to be on the side of the tranny. Can you get to the
> plug when its in the car?

Yes, from the engine compartment with a tube connected to a trans oil
bottle.  Not too bad.

> 2. Has anyone had to buy a shift fork boot?  Did you get it from Nissan? If
> not, Then Where?

No, mine was still good.

> 3. Is the bearing carrier refered to in the instructions the stubby piece
> that the bearing is pressed on to?

It's a cast iron ring with two ears on it.  The bearing spring holds onto
these two ears.  The carrier slides back and forth on the aluminum tube
that you have to cut.

> 4. Can the speedometer cable be connected with the tranny in the car?

Yes, if you have small hands.  I ended up doing it that way since it
really gets in the way when you are trying to fit the engine/trans.  On a
Bugeye, this would probably be less of a problem.

Now that I have people's attention (?), has anyone rebuilt the 5-speed, or
had it rebuilt?  I would like to fit new bearings and synchros at some
point.  I am wondering if the parts are available, if the price is
reasonable and how hard is it to do.

Thanks,

                                                           '67 Sprite