Re: 1275 cc Engine Disassembly

To: Daryl May <mayfam@sprynet.com>
Subject: Re: 1275 cc Engine Disassembly
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 1997 20:31:06 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

Daryl May wrote:

> The engine is apart in the garage and is almost ready for a rebore.  There
> are two things I need to take off, and need help on:
>
> 1.  The distributor shaft - how to get it out?  The distributor itself is
> out, and so is the camshaft and oil pan, etc. I have put a 5/16 in bolt
> into the top of the distributor shaft, as the Haynes book says.  Then it
> says "withdraw the shaft".  How? Just a pull?  Tried that. Need more force?
>  Or it unscrews?  Which way (neither works).  It's not locked up, and it
> turns fine.  But how to get it out?

My question to you is...How did you get the cam out with the distributor drive
still in place?
Have you removed the thingy where the dizzy bolts in? It has 1 bolt in it and
must be removed to take out the drive.
When this is out, thread in a 5/16" bolt and gently twist while pulling in a
counter-clockwise direction. This should remove the drive gear. Now you can
remove the cam!

> 2.  Any idea on how to free up the Woodruff keys on the ends of the
> crankshaft and camshaft?

screwdriver and service tool  #18G-A1 (the big hammer) gently tap the woodruff
keys out with and old screwdriver and hammer.

Good luck
Frank

--
Frank Clarici