collapsible steering column

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: collapsible steering column
From: Capt PfB <CaptPfB@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 15:05:25 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
>I know what a U-joint is, but I'm unclear about the rest.  Could you expand
on all this: quick release hub, D shaft?
  Sorry, My racer's steering wheel was trashed, and I couldn't locate an
adapter for a aftermarket wheel. So I used a quick release steering wheel
adapter that I was going to have welded to the stock column.( this allows the
wheel to be removed by pulling a pin )When I took the stock column to the
welding shop, someone said  " Nice Spear ! " needless to say I thought I
better find a better way.
     Went home and saw an ad for Bordeson universal joints which showed their
collapsible steering shaft ,called them and ordered a U-joint ,a collapsible
shaft and a piece of  "double D" shafting ( flats on two sides of it's
length).
     The U-joint mounts to the steering rack (splined one end) ,the
collapsible shaft (male DD end) mounts to the U-joint, and a double d shaft
mounts to the female end of the collapsible shaft.I had the quick release hub
weled to the end of the shaft to mount the steering wheel.
     The double d shaft fits inside the original steering colunm
housing,Though I had bronze bushings installed instead of the original
canvas.There's was a little amount of flex in the column,so I fabricated an
aluminum lower mount for the housing.If I were using an original wheel or  had
an adapter ,the stock column could of been cut to length,and filed to the
double d shape and pinned or taped and cross bolted together

M.Jeff Brabb

58 sprite
59 Sprite racer " Wee Beasty "
75 Midget