RE: Distributor for 1500

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Distributor for 1500
From: Michael Dietsche <mdietsche@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 11:46:53 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Thanks for the info Chris...I can't see a part # on the distributor,
but it is a Lucas unit with points. I expected to find an electronic
ignition type on my car from what I read about a '78 1500 Midget, so I
figured someone must have replaced the distributor at some time,
especially since it seems to butt into surrounding hardware in a way
that suggests it doesn't belong. The car runs OK, but I have no
experience to compare it to, so if the advance is not advantageous I
wouldn't know.  The distributor has a dial adjustment, which I assume
is for fine tuning the advance.  This dial is frozen/mangled.  The
distributor looks pretty beat up in other ways, though I haven't
pulled it out yet to check its shaft.   Anyway,  given all of the
above the distributor is on my list for likely replacement items.  Any
experience anyone has with aftermarket distributors for the 1500 would
be appreciated.....

On another subject, has anyone replaced the Lucas alternator with a
higher-rated/easier-to-find American alternator?  What's the Lucas'
output anyway, about 30 amps?  That seems low even for that car......I
like to think I have enough capacity for thorough charging even when
I'm driving with lights on  and wipers running.

---Chris Kotting  wrote:

> Sounds like your PO pulled the distributor and put it back in out of
> position, probably the distributor drive as well.  It can work that
way,
> but you end up with the vacuum advance in awkward positions.
>
> When you say that it's a non-standard Lucas.  What are you basing
that
> conclusion on?  The 1500 came with one of two variations on a Lucas
> electronic system.  Unfortunately, that system was pretty unreliable
and
> the first one (with the electronics in a box on the side) is no
longer
> made.  You can get parts for the later unit, (with the electronics
remote
> from the dizzy), though.
>
> If you've got a Lucas distributor with points, your PO did the most
common
> form of repair for the earlier Lucas electronic unit.  It may also
have
> been replaced with the later Lucas Electronic unit.
>
> If I can be of any help in sorting your Midget out, let me know.
I've got
> a pretty much original 1500 to compare to, and a fair bit of
mechanical
> knowledge.  Before spending the $$$ to replace the distributor, I'd
suggest
> seeing what can be done with what's there.
>
> BTW: Yes the Mallory should work, if you want to go that way. When
my Lucas
> electronic unit quit, I just out in a Crane/Allison electronic unit.
 It's