Re: Another distributor question

To: Dave Brown <davebrown1@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Another distributor question
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 1997 00:07:36 -0500
Cc: spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Dave Brown wrote:
> I have two vastly different distributors, both supposedly from '79 1500
> midgets.
> One, Lucas 45DE4 >0176has a big box on the side where the vacuum
> diaphram is, and has a three wire hookup.

  Sounds like a LUCAS EID system. Works great when it
works, then it leaves you stranded.

  Even LUCAS acknowledged this sucked, and they produced:

> The other, Lucas 45DM4 >3780 has no big box before the diaphram and has
> a two wire hookup.

  ...the CEI system which was retrofitted under warranty
when ignitions failed. When my EID ignition died I was talking
to a local shop, the guy said he sold the cars when new and
sometimes they would die on the lot. Oh well.

> What is the difference between 2 & 3 wire? external vs internal
> resistor?

  Internal versus external amplifier. The original has
all the guts on the side of the distributor, the later
has the wires going to a control box. I beleive it was
thermal failure that killed them, so maybe the
external guts are designed to be mounted where they
cool better.

> Is one better than the other?

  The EID is a breakdown waiting to happen. The CEI
types work fine.

> PS one looks magnetic, one looks optical.

  Both originals are magnetic. Perhaps one has been
replaced with a Crane/Allison pickup?

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada