Re: Expensive machining - are these prices normal?

To: Eric Mumford <mumford@rpi.edu>
Subject: Re: Expensive machining - are these prices normal?
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 20:15:58 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

Eric Mumford wrote:

> To do the machining on my head and block, it's gonna cost me $900 for
> the machine shop labor PLUS parts!  I was preparing myself for a $300
> machine shop job.  Now I'm in trouble.
>
> Here is the breakdown of the expenses - please let me know if these guys
> are taking me for a ride or if it's normal.
>
> Block -
>         hot tank        $ 50
>         line honed      $175
>         bore hone 20"   $130
>         crank ground    $125
>         bigends         $ 48
>         small ends      $ 48
> head-
>         Valve job       $125
>         check cracks    $ 16
>         guide liners    $ 48
>         exhaust seats   $ 36
>         resurface       $ 24
>
> The total comes to $900 plus tax, plus I have to order the pistons,
> rings, exhaust valves, rod and main bearings, pin bush myself and get
> them to him when he knows what size i need.
>
> One of the crank shim bearings had come off and the block was damaged by
> the crank pushing forward or something.  I think that's why he said he
> had to line hone it.
>
> The way people were talking when I got into this it was sounding like
> the machine shop cost would be only a few hundred dollars.  Now it's
> going to end up being about $1300, at least, and I could have gotten the
> whole block rebuilt and reassembled for that price by another shop I
> looked at in Massachusetts.

I'd find another shop if I were you.I just had a block done, dipped, check
for cracks, honed then bored because of a gouge in the cylinder wall,
pistons put on rods and crank polished, all this (no head work) didn't come
to $200. I do know they machinist but only from other jobs I have given him.
I don't think I get any great bargins from him although maybe I do, he does
go by a book and puts down numbers for what he did then I pay the man in the
front of the shop.

--
Frank Clarici
Too many Sprites