Expensive machining - are these prices normal?

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Expensive machining - are these prices normal?
From: Eric Mumford <mumford@rpi.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 11:38:57 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
To do the machining on my head and block, it's gonna cost me $900 for
the machine shop labor PLUS parts!  I was preparing myself for a $300
machine shop job.  Now I'm in trouble.

Here is the breakdown of the expenses - please let me know if these guys
are taking me for a ride or if it's normal.

Block -
        hot tank        $ 50
        line honed      $175
        bore hone 20"   $130
        crank ground    $125
        bigends         $ 48
        small ends      $ 48
head-
        Valve job       $125
        check cracks    $ 16
        guide liners    $ 48
        exhaust seats   $ 36
        resurface       $ 24

The total comes to $900 plus tax, plus I have to order the pistons,
rings, exhaust valves, rod and main bearings, pin bush myself and get
them to him when he knows what size i need.

One of the crank shim bearings had come off and the block was damaged by
the crank pushing forward or something.  I think that's why he said he
had to line hone it.

The way people were talking when I got into this it was sounding like
the machine shop cost would be only a few hundred dollars.  Now it's
going to end up being about $1300, at least, and I could have gotten the
whole block rebuilt and reassembled for that price by another shop I
looked at in Massachusetts.

 __.o,\____  *       Eric Mumford          *   ('v')  -> BA-KUK!
/__ \ /  _ ) *      mumford@rpi.edu        *  ((   ))
 (+)`---(+)  * http://travolta.stu.rpi.edu * --"---"--o