Re: Cluster Gear

To: "Peter Schauss x 2014" <ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov>, <sbagby@swcp.com>
Subject: Re: Cluster Gear
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 06:56:41 +1100
Cc: <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
>From: Peter Schauss x 2014 <ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov>
>(How much
>do you use first gear in a race?).

It gets a *really* hard time at the start line. Revving to 6000+ and drop
the clutch
under full throttle! Couldn't get tougher than that. The diff doesn't really
like it either!
(nor the half shafts..)

Having said that, rewelding the first gear works just fine. Of all the local
racers, only
one has ever had the weld fail. A number have stripped teeth off first gear.

While we are talking about gearboxes, what is the feedback on the repro
straight-cut
gearset for the sprite? What HP is it good for? I've been told that they are
inferior to
the NOS straight-cut gearsets - is it true? Anyone know of a source for NOS
straight-cut
gearsets for sprites?

Mike

Mike Gigante                                       mikeg@vicnet.net.au