Re: Cut The Tunnel?

To: Chuck Ciaffone <chuckc@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: Cut The Tunnel?
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 10:18:11 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
The area of greatest stress in the tunnel is the upper curved section, and
the bottom flat section.  If you remove metal in those areas, the structure
will be weakened far more than if you remove metal in the vertical sides of
the tunnel.  The vertical sections of the tunnel resist twist, and the most
important part of the car vis-a-vis twist is the sill sections.  The curved
upper part of the tunnel, in combination with the flat bottom, resist
bending ("banana-ing" of the car).

Since you only install the driveshaft to the tranny infrequently, why not
learn how to do it easily by using little tricks like wrapping the u-joint
with masking tape, rather than cutting the car?  On my race car, I install
the tranny and driveshaft as a unit, then install the engine after they're
in place.

Brian