Re: Cut The Tunnel?

To: "Chuck Ciaffone" <chuckc@ibm.net>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Cut The Tunnel?
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 21:19:10 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Chuck, if the opening is "small" it really doesn't matter whether you put
the hole in the top of the tunnel or in the belly pan -- you're not going
to weaken the structure significantly.  However, theoretically speaking,
you would be better off to cut an opening in the belly pan because that
part of the structure is loaded in tension, while the tunnel is loaded in
compression.  Putting a cover plate on the opening in the bottom would
restore some of the strength removed by the hole, but a cover plate on the
tunnel would not matter strengthwise.  Wherever you cut the hole, make sure
the hole is circular or has rounded corners.  If the corners are sharp,
cracks may develop out of the corners (not likely, but possible).

If you put a hole in the tunnel, I assume you would also have to pull up
the carpet for access, no?

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC USA
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool,
than to speak, and remove all doubt."  -- Mark Twain