Re: Valvoline MTL, etc

To: Chuck Ciaffone <chuckc@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: Valvoline MTL, etc
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 23:23:49 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On Sun, 28 Dec 1997, Chuck Ciaffone wrote:

> Help, you guyz,
>
> I just hit about five auto-parts stores (including, but not
> limited to, Parts America and Advance) looking for
> Valvoline MTL. No dice!  I can find:

Redline's product is called MTL.  Is that also the name of the Valvoline
oil?

>       Unilube Synthetic (75W90)
>       Halvoline Hypoid oil (75W90)
>       Valvoline Hypoind oil (75W90 and 85W140)
>       Coastal Hypoid oil (various viscocities)
>
> Do y'all think the Unilube is ok?  Or am I better off
> with the non-synthetic Valvoline?
>
> Honestly, how important is Valvoline Synthetic (or Red Line,
> or Whatever) in a '79 Datsun 5-speed in a '72 MG Midget
> that will likely stay in the immediate vicinity, not go
> over 55-60 MPH, and be driven under non-severe conditions?

If that's so, why do you need a 5-speed?  Just kidding.

> I mean, I'm no longer heal-toeing my way thru the chicane at Thomson
> Motor Speedway or Limerock. This is a cheap, fun, pleasure
> car after all.   What's the synthetic stuff gonna buy me that
> the hypoid gear lube I use in my garden tiller won't do as well?

It will give you consistant shifter feel, independant of temperature.
There are other supposed advantages that I can't vouch for.
Why don't you try regular gear oil and see how you like it?

> It's Cocktail Time. I'm done thinking about this for today.

That sounds good!
Just had me some OJ with Champagne...Mariposa or whatever they call
that....:)

                                                           '67 Sprite