Re: K&N filters, stock cannisters

To: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Subject: Re: K&N filters, stock cannisters
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 23:18:53 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On Sun, 28 Dec 1997, Jeff Boatright wrote:

> Does anyone have experience with K&N filters on their Spridgets? What type
> of filter cannister did you use? Has anyone tried the Filter+Plate Set
> ($170 from Moss) vs just using K&N elements in the stock H2S cannisters
> ($~60/pr)? The filter and plate set seem shallow, but come with a stub
> stack, which Vizard says is a must. The stock cannisters would seem to
> provide a lot more filter area. Would the ulitmate be the stock cannisters
> with K&N filters ans 1.5 inch stacks?

Jeff,
there is a third option.  Two individual round chrome K&Ns.  These look
best I think.  In any case, I would install stub stacks.  I haven't
checked, but they might even fit inside the stock filters.  To really get
the benefit, the needles in the SUs should be changed to match the higher
flow of the SUs, I think.  I witnessed a friends Mini with a open filter
that had a huge flat spot on acceleration.  There was a certain rpm that
the engine almost didn't rev through when accelerating.  Changing the
needle cured this.
IMO, the plate and filter setup is ugly and overpriced, but it would add
rigidity to the setup.

> While on this topic, does anyone know the design philosophy behind the
> stock cannisters?

Closed air filter housings in general are used to reduce intake noise.  If
you install some open K&Ns, you will hear intake roar.  This sounds good
in some cases, especially with Webers, but since SUs don't have the
venturi of the Webers, they don't sound as good to me.  You could take a
spin around the block with no filters at all to see for yourself.  You
will notice the difference at higher rpms.
You might wonder why the snorkel of the stock filter is so thin.  The
reason is that they create a venturi effect.  All the air going into the
engine has to go through the snorkels.  Because the diameter of the
snorkels is small, the air has to speed up through the snorkel.  Particles
of dust and dirt that are drawn in with the air get accelerated to a high
velocity and end up hitting the the filter at the end of the snorkel.  The
benefit is that the filter gets clogged only in one spot while air can
flow around the filter and pass through it in areas that are not clogged.
When you change filters you will notice that they have a black dirt spot
only on one side.

                                                           '67 Sprite