Re: LONG: Chain of events: Dont let this happen to you! -Reply

To: Howard Young <hyoung@dhhmail.dhh.state.la.us>, jeffh@colba.net
Subject: Re: LONG: Chain of events: Dont let this happen to you! -Reply
From: Jay Quinn <jpquinn@cyberramp.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 13:25:17 -0600
Cc: british-cars@Autox.Team.Net, healeys@Autox.Team.Net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Perhaps I didn't finish that line...

errr... uhhh....

... ...  Nothing more to do or fix again, today or that evening the last
bolt is turned, but tomorrow is another day!

At 11:36 AM 12/29/97 -0600, Howard Young wrote:

>Ha Ha.  When I'm done there will be nothing more to do or fix again!
>
>(Don't tell anyone I said that) - Famous last words, of a Healey owner.

>At 06:12 PM 11/6/97 -0500, Jeff Habberfield wrote:
>>Sounds typical of  British cars, they came like that right out of the
>box.....
>>
>>Jay Quinn wrote:
>>
>>> I was reading a persons sig file and it started me thinking about a chain
>>> of events that led up to my Sprite being left in the condition that
it's in
>>> today.  The sig eluded to:  Don't think that by finding one problem, you
>>> found them all.  Something like that.  Boy, thats the truth.
>>>
>>> It all started one day like this:
>>>
>>> 1.  I noticed that the clutch was pretty stiff, gears were getting kinda
>>> grindy, and noticed that the clutch slave was dripping fluid.  Pretty
>>> harmless stuff, right?  Keep reading.
>>>
>>> 2.  I bought a rebuild kit and rebuilt it one fine day.  After doing
so, it
>>> was worse!  The clutch fork wouldn't even return.  It was like no slave
>and
>>> clutch system at all!  I suddenly had a very bad feeling about this...  It
>>> gets better.
>>>
>>> 3.  After determining the entire clutch system was in need a of rebuild, I
>>> bought the three piece clutch kit.  Help diagnosing this came from the
>list.
>>>
>>> 4.  In order to rebuild/replace the clucth kit, I had to yank the engine
>>> and tranny out as one unit.  I did.  Then removed the tranny from the
>back
>>> of the engine.  The problem was diagnosed properly.  The clutch was
>shot
>>> completly.  I replaced the clutch unit.  I also had the flywheel turned.
>>> Engine:  Still on garage floor.
>>>
>>> 5.  While in this current state of condition, I thought I'd locate a used
>>> tranny to replace the one that was just pulled.  It had been producing a
>>> large amount of glitter in the oil when being changed very frequently.
>>>
>>> 6.  I got a used tranny, only to find that it was in far worse condition
>>> than the one I pulled.  I ended up tearing both trannies apart and made
>one
>>> good one of the two.  Of which, the final completion of putting the one
>>> good tranny back together again has yet to be done.  I hear it calling my
>>> name now.
>>>
>>> 7.  After doing the clutch thing, I thought I'd take a look at the drive
>>> shaft. It was shot as well.  After dealing with the sprung yokes, I
took it

>>> jay_quinn@bcbstx.com - Work

--
Jay Quinn - Business Systems Analyst
Personal Email: jpquinn@cyberramp.net

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite MKII HAN6L2874