Silicon switch-over

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Silicon switch-over
From: James D Rowan <jimrowan@uic.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 09:40:01 -0600 (CST)
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Long story made short:
Car in question: 60 Sprite with dual (braking/clutch) master cylinder.
PO had accident with master cylinder during rebuild. Needless to say
fluid spilled down fender eating paint leading into engine compartment.
Currently, the MC no longer leaks but does have fluid buildup around the
gasket making me nervous.

I am debating what to do. I do have to get the fender repainted which
necessates removal of the MC. So while at it I figure why not do a
minor rebuild on the braking system and at the same time switch over to
silicon fluid. Since I'm gonna haveta shell out $$ for paint I DO NOT want
a repeat of this accident on nice fresh paint. As for the current state of
the entire system, it was rebuilt 4 years ago. The lines are fine and
there are no leaks in the system, stopping power is more than adequate.
I would change out the rubber hoses for Stainless and
throughly clean the lines. I am not looking for eyepopping stopping
power, this car is not run hard. Can people who have done the
change-over comment on their experiences (positive or negative) and, or
point me in the direction of articles or reference sources.

Much thanks,
Jim Rowan
60 Sprite.