PISTON/CONROD ORIENTATION

To: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: PISTON/CONROD ORIENTATION
From: "Daryl May" <mayfam@sprynet.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 1998 16:15:16 -0800
Cc: <georgem1@asiaonline.net.tw>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I am putting new pistons into a just-rebored 1275 cc engine, and need
URGENT help from y'all please.

Question 1.  The original pistons had 4 rings, and the Moss replacement has
3 rings and a shorter piston skirt.  Is this OK?

Question 2.  The pistons are AE Hepolite (Moss part #420-160), and they do
not seem to have a front mark.  Do these pistons have a front/back
orientation, or not?  (Moss could not advise today, the catalog does not
seem to say, and the pistons themselves have the markings described in the
footnote to this message, and they are also not indicative.  However, books
like the Haynes one say to expect a front-facing arrow - see Ch 1, 48, para
2.)

Question 3.  In the midst of all this, I do not want to put the connecting
rods in wrong.  They are of the NON-offset type, so perhaps it does not
matter?  If it does matter, on which side of the engine do the rod numbers
go - camshaft side or NON-camshaft side?

___________
Footnotes. The pistons have no markings on the side or underneath.  On the
top near the edge, they have radial lines, each 120 deg from each other,
none of which are aimed front or back - one points sideways, i.e., to the
left or right of the engine.  The one that points sideways has a second
line parallel to it about 0.1 in away.  On the side of the piston opposite
to the sideways line, appears the casting and size inscription AE21251 +
.030 AUF.  The instructions do not indicate any orientation marks, but they
look like they are for a different piston anyway (thanks Moss). The OLD
4-ring piston also does not have a front mark that I can see.

Would much appreciate some quick guidance on this one.

Thanks,

Daryl