RE: Shock Conversion

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Shock Conversion
From: type79@ix.netcom.com (Jay Fishbein)
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 19:24:01 -0600 (CST)
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
There has been considerable discussion on this topic. I am curious what
each individual's opinion is of the advantage of tube shocks compared
to Armstrong lever shocks?
Jay Fishbein
HAN6
Innocenti S
Westfield/Lotus 7
AN5
AN5
HAN10

You wrote:

>Wait!  I'm the guy who thought that the brackets with the Spax shocks
were a rip-off at about $100 for the pair...the 40 dollar mark came in
somewhere else, I'm still trying to find it in my mail archive.

>It seems to me that if we can find out the parameters of the shock
(length, travel, rates, etc) we could all go down to the local auto
parts store and get a nice set of monroes or konis for less than the
spax, and the rear brackets are simple as pie to make (or have made)
and were rolling...(I miss Gabriel Striders!)

>Now I wonder though about conversions at all.  I'd like to hear more
from those who have tried tube shocks and switched back to levers, and
why.

>Trying to get the most info possible (I DON'T want to repeat the
'great silicone brake fluid disaster of Pleasant Hill' again!)

>CTP
>At 12:42 PM -0800 1/7/98, John J. Peloquin wrote:
>>Just a note to say I have been running a rear tube shock conversion
on my 67 "B" for about 2 years and it works great.
>>Chris Palmer is correct in saying that for about $40 and 2 hours work
you can do the conversion.