Re: Looking for pre-bent brake lines

To: "Sprite List" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Looking for pre-bent brake lines
From: "Jeff Church" <jchurch@exis.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 21:51:26 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I totally agree with Sal.  I've done the same on my Bugeye with professional
looking results.  I borrowed my mechanics bubble flair tool.  It is special.
The only other special tool you'll need though is your thumbs for bending.
Another tip on bending steel is try not to re-bend something.  It cold works
the steel and it becomes brittle.  A little re-bending won't hurt though.

The only thing I differ with Sal on is the use of Pep Boys, Advance Auto,
Western Auto, et al.  The maximum length line I have ever seen in these
places is 5 ft.  As a result, my clutch line has a union in it (discretely
hidden under the heater fan bracket).  For the brake line, I went to a local
hydraulic supply house where I was able to buy a 10 ft length of 3/16".  I
had previously used this place to purchase 12 ft of straight 1/4" stainless
tube for my fuel line.  Stainless is harder to work with on tight bends
without a bending tool.

Anyway, give it a shot.

Jeff Church