Re: Midget (MK III) Interior

To: "Mark Endicott" <endicott@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Midget (MK III) Interior
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 23:31:38 -0500
Cc: "spridgets" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Mark - When I restored my Midget I bought a ready-made interior kit from
Vicky B., so I haven't tried this, but I think it would work:  score the
backside of the panel with something like an X-acto knife deeply enough
that you can bend it.  If it breaks, I think the non-scored side would
remain intact, and the break would smoothly follow the score line.  Once
the panel is covered and installed, it should look fine.  If the panel
breaks in two, then you could make a hinge with duct tape.  When the panel
is riveted in place with the bend in it, it will become rigid at the bend
anyway.  Or, you could cut the panel into two pieces, install the two
pieces temporarily in place, and use fiberglass cloth and resin to reattach
them to each other.

I was not able to get the bonnet release cable out without removing the
engine because there was a nut on the engine side of the firewall, recessed
back up above the gearbox.  I couldn't figure a way to gain access to this
with the gearbox in place.  Good luck!

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC USA
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
'66 BJ8  HBJ8L/36666  "TARHEELY"
'63 BJ7 HBJ8L/20111 "HEALEYUM"
"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool
than to speak, and remove all doubt"  -- Mark Twain