Re: kingpin to spindle arm shim

To: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, <healeys-owner@Autox.Team.Net>, <kpatton@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: kingpin to spindle arm shim
From: "Hal Cummings"<halc@mazda.genauto.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 98 09:32:18 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
     I rebuilt the front suspension on my 71 Midget and ran up against this
     problem too.  The rebuild kit came with all the required components.
     I had the kingpin bushes replaced and reamed to size by a shop which
     has been an MG dealer since 1952 (yes, they only sell restored cars
     these days) I wasn't about to add that expensive reamer to the
     collection where it would see such limited use.

     At any rate, when picking up the parts, I queried the chief mechanic
     there about the proper torque setting for that nut since it was
     nowhere to be found in the Bentley manual.

     Hang on a second while I put on my flame proof undies...

     His directive was to tighten the nut until there was no vertical play
     measurable in the spindle/top trunion, and the assembly could turn
     freely lock to lock. Being uncomfortable with that response and
     blessed with an instinct for survival, I called the Moss techies and
     got the same instructive advice.  Further, they advised that if the
     kingpin was cross-drilled for a castle nut, then assemble as tight as
     you can while maintaining alignment for the split pin, yet not so
     tight as to interfere with free movement of the assembly.

     I put a small punch mark on the kingpin and the nut (nyloc on mine)
     for reference, and they have not moved.

     With this in mind, I'd advise you to back off the nut a bit.

     Hal