kingpin to spindle arm shim

To: Sprite List <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>, MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, Healey List <healeys-owner@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: kingpin to spindle arm shim
From: Patton Dickson <kpatton@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 14:20:18 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hey everybody,

Today the front suspension was supposed to go back on, but I have come
across another glitch.

When I tighten the king pin nut down, the spindles will not turn.  After
a few of us (it was during the tech session) scratched our heads, it was
decided that the shim that sits between the kingpin and the spindle was
not enough.  Dennis Bufton had a parts manual, and it show that there
are three sizes that are available for this purpose, so we are probably
on the right track.  The problem is that of the major suppliers, only
Mini Mania lists these, and they tell me that it is basically on
indefinite backorder (they may be able to find a couple out of a broken
kit in their shop, but they won't know that till next week.  After I
called Moss, they used the parts numbers I had and had 2 (of the .008),
those I bought, but would rather have a little more to work with that
just two, and I would like to get the smaller size (.003) so I can get
this right.  Vicky Brit, Special Interest both basically gave me the old
S-O-L answer.

Anyone have any ideas where i can find them, or have faced (and
overcome) this themselves.  The parts numbers that were found are

2A4008            .012"
2A4007            .008"
2A4168            .003"

Thanks,

Patton

--
Patton Dickson                              Dallas, TX

1967 Austin-Healey Sprite                   H-AN9-L/69437
See My Austin-Healey Sprite Page
http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Shores/1256/page2.html