Re: NYS Emissions

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: NYS Emissions
From: Nory@webtv.net (Nory)
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 11:53:20 -0500
Cc: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Thanks for all the replys.  Here's what we have so far---

1.)  Switch the paper work from the '71 to the '74 to make it exempt.
Unfortunately, my chosen career (law enforcement) has this pesky little
problem with people willfully breaking the law, and they make you take a
lie detecter test to be sure you don't.  Switching the paperwork is out
of the question.

2.)  Installing the original style PCV valve doesn't seem possible
because of the alterations that have been made to the intake manifold.
I don't care to blow the bucks on another manifold.

3.)  Popping in a $3.00 generic PCV valve between the carbs and the oil
seperator will satisfy the "visual inspection" requirement, but I don't
know how it will run.

4.)  There is still some question as to what, exactly, NYS requires.
More confusion is caused by the fact that requirements in NYC are very
different from the requirements upstate.  The DMV website doesn't help
much.  The radio show I heard was giving requirements by year (the 1981
and up needed certain things, 1996 and up needed certain things, and
1969 and up needed a PCV valve and supposedly nothing else).  If what
they said is true, the requirement upstate is strictly a visual
inspection, and not a measurement of emissions from the tailpipe(?).
Unfortunately, I didn't catch the whole show because I was on my way to
work, and didn't think they'd be too pleased if I spent half my shift in
the car listening to the radio.  Anyway, if all I need is a PCV valve,
splicing in a generic one seems to be the easiest way.  OTOH, if I need
the whole shebang (air pump, etc.), maybe I'll just park the thing for
two years (when it'll be exempt) and restore it right in the meantime.

Further comments/suggestions are welcome.

-NORY
Don't assume that because you have found one problem, you have found the
ONLY problem.

 '74 Midget & '71 parts car
 '94 Ford Ranger
 '86 Ford Escort