Re[2]: Fasteners!!!!

To: SPRIDGETS@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re[2]: Fasteners!!!!
From: john.kahoon@pcohio.com (John Kahoon)
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 05:28:00 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

Hal Wrote:

HC>     Grades refer to the tensile strength of the fastener.

HC>     Bolts are generally marked with hashes on the head in a radial
HC>     pattern, higher grades of fasteners having more marks, and more
HC>     tensile strength.

HC>     When you torque a fastener, what you are really doing is stretching
HC>     the unit to its proper tensioned length, with the torque a convenient
HC>     method of determination. This ensures that the fastener will not
HC>     loosen inappropriately or fail due to over stress.
snip>

   Folks, please be careful when screwing around with what the Engineers
   did for you.
     Some applications require the lower grade bolts...
   Think about it, the harder the bolt ( higher the grade ) the more
   brittle it is. There are some places where you don't want a brittle
   bolt ! An extra high gade bolt on suspension parts may not be good,
   an overload, and SNAP, were a lower grade would bend a little...
   See my point ? The RIGHT tool, for the application, including
   fasteners !

 John Kahoon
 71 midget  ( stock fasteners  :)

---
 þ SLMR 2.1a þ john.kahoon@pcohio.com

 _ _
|_|_| PC-OHIO Interactive * 216-381-3320 * telnet://bbs.pcohio.com
|_|_| Combining The Best BBS & The Web at http://www.pc-ohio.com