Great places to drive

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Great places to drive
From: Shannon Wells <squeedle@khoral.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 11:21:20 -0700 (MST)
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On Thu, 15 Jan 1998 Rich.A.Wagner@mcdermott.com wrote:

> breathing down your back - some of these guys are unreal.  Has anyone
> tried the Dragon (Deals Gap) in a midget?  something like 300+ turns
> in 20 miles...
>
> Rich Wagner
> 74 midget
> 90 miata
> Lynchburg,VA

Wow you are bringing back some memories - I'm originally from NC & used to
drive those mtn roads up in the Blue Ridge Parkway & thru the Smokies.
The drive on I-40 thru/past Asheville is gorgeous.

I will say this:  one day I am going to take my Midget up Utah 14.  I
highly recommend this road to any driving enthusiast, but esp. in a lovely
low chrome-bumpered sway-barred Midget with the top down like mine :) :)
:) This road meanders over mesas, has 2 lanes only & no guardrails!  At
some places you feel like you're going to teeter off into oblivion because
the mesa cliff is so steep.  And the scenery is fantastic - this drive
goes through Capitol Reef State Park and Arches National Monument, and is
fairly close driving to Zion National Monument.  I drove it in my Mazda
323 before, which actually handles surprisingly well.  (That Mazda has
been airborne and high-centered on a 100lb. boulder on a beach in Mexico,
but that's another story...)

I also just got back from Maui (business trip!), where I drove to a small
town named Hana. I so wished I had the Midge instead of the Buick LeSabre
rental.  I sure squealed some tires coming down that one - and the scenery
for that is like something out of a storybook - bamboo forests overlooking
ocean cliffs and wild seas, or centuries-old villages with rice paddies,
coconut trees, taro fields and tropical flowering trees.  The smell of
guava, ginger, and pineapple is everywhere.  Once you get to Hana you can
hike to some freshwater pools and swim, and hike through a bamboo forest
to a 1,000 foot+ waterfall.  The road itself narrows to one lane only in
dozens of places, and the locals drive it like maniacs.  I didn't even
bother counting the curves.  All I'll say is that they say it takes over 2
hours to drive 35 miles, and coming back down I broke 1 1/2 hrs.  Whee!

Shannon E. Wells
'74 1275 Midget
Because I dislike being quoted I lie almost constantly when talking
      about my work.
                                -- Terry Gilliam