Re: brake oddity

To: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Subject: Re: brake oddity
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 11:11:57 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On Sun, 18 Jan 1998, Jeff Boatright wrote:

> >Jeff Boatright wrote:
> >> I've got the car on stands now and am agoing to take the brakes apart for
> >> inspection. is there anything I should look for? Has anyone ever
> >> experienced this, and if so, how did you fix it?
> >
> >It sounds like your brake adjuster may not be working properly.  Check to
> >see how close the brakes are adjusted.  If a few clicks on the adjuster
> >does not cause them to drag noticeably, then there was a problem before.
> >--
> >        Matt Liggett, SysAdmin
> >        Kiva Networking
> >
> >  [ --> Spammers please send to spam@elise.kiva.net to be blocked <-- ]
>
> Matt,
>
> Thanks. I think the adjuster is screwy. A few clicks and it locks the
> brakes. Keep adjusting and suddenly the wheel is free again. I can do this
> over and over, always adjusting in the same direction, getting the brakes
> to lock, then turn free, until finally they clamp thoroughly.and further
> adjustment is not possible.

Jeff,
what you are describing might be normal.  Does it lock every 1/8 of a
turn?  Since the adjuster has a square crossection, whenever the corners
are touching the sliders, the brake gets a little tighter, when the
sliders fall off the corners it gets looser again.

I would open it up and look for missing springs etc.  I think your problem
should be fairly obvious once you inspect it.

                                                           '67 Sprite