brake oddity

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: brake oddity
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 11:43:26 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hello Spridgeteers!

Occassionally when applying the brakes smoothly to come to a stop when
backing, I will hear a clunk and then the brakes grab hard, stopping the
car immediately. Sometimes it is then very difficult to continue backing
even after taking my foot of the brake. Obviously something is locking up.
It sounds like the left rear brake. If I then move forward and apply brakes
and then release them, I can back again. However, if I just move forward
without applying brakes and releasing, I cannot go back. The brakes (moving
backwards) are still locked, but apparently not going forwards (though they
may be dragging without my being able to tell).

I've got the car on stands now and am agoing to take the brakes apart for
inspection. is there anything I should look for? Has anyone ever
experienced this, and if so, how did you fix it?

TIA,

Jeff

Jeff Boatright    __o_\__           '65 Austin-Healey Sprite
http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jboatri/sprite/sprite.html