Re: Bearings - how tight should they be?

To: "mike neff" <proraly@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Bearings - how tight should they be?
From: Les Myer <lmyer@qtm.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 21:27:17 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Actually, the plastiguage mashes down and the clearance is read by the
width after it is compressed.  This is done by visually matching the width
with a guage that is part of the paper containing the plastiguage.  Also,
you should note that plastiguaging should be done on dry bearings since an
oil film will take up clearance and give you an incorrect reading.  There
is no need to remove the plastiguage from the bearings - it dissolves in oil.

The machinist's job is to ensure the crank is within specifications for an
undersize after grinding.  In your case, factory specs minus 0.010".  They
would not plastiguage bearings unless they assembled the engine.  If the
crank measures correctly - suspect that the block needs line-bored.

Les Myer