RE: Bearings - how tight should they be?

To: "'Guy Weller'" <GuyWeller@compuserve.com>
Subject: RE: Bearings - how tight should they be?
From: Dave Formstone <dformsto@compusmart.ab.ca>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 22:49:19 -0700
Cc: "'Sprite list'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Guy, I have just finished reading the other responses and agree with them
all. Two more things to check, 1 are the bearing caps in the correct
orientation ie: the caps must be installed from whence they came and make sure
they are not 180 deg out. My buddy and I had a similar problem many years ago
and it turned out that the PO had marked the con-rods 1,2,3,4 and the
associated caps 4,3,2,1. As you can imagine it took many hours of trial and
error to figure out. This of course was on the big end journals but the same
may apply to your mains. 2 have you checked the end float, as the thrust
bearings may be oversized.
Hope this helps.
Dave Formstone
1960 Bugeye