Re: 5-speed conversions and clutch masters.

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 5-speed conversions and clutch masters.
From: Steve Obert <sobert@snet.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 19:26:40 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
This is a repost of an old message originally sent to the healey list.  But
it is obviously still usefull.

After looking at all my parts and doing some calculations I have decided
that the slave cylinder needed is around 13/16.  The problem comes from the
fact that Datsun uses a 5/8 master cylinder and the Sprite uses a 3/4.
This will result in a clutch rod movement of 1.1 inches instead of the .75
that it needs.  My guess is that the first resistance you feel is when the
clutch rod has mooved about 3/4 inch.  After that you may just be forcing
fluid past the seal in the master cylinder if it is worn or you may be
pushing the clutch pressure plate beyond what it should.  This also
explains the touchy clutch action as it is coming out real fast when you
let the clutch out ( about 80% too fast ).

Another option may be to convert to a 5/8 clutch master cylinder which in
your case is tricky as the clutch and brake master cylinders are in the
same housing.