Re: paint stripper?

To: Amy Soich <casoich@sgi.net>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: paint stripper?
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 19:07:02 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Amy,

Follow precautions. This stuff is not the worst, but it's still caustic. It
is amazingly painful if you get it on sensitive areas (for a fee my wife
will tell you a great story about me, stripper, and a very sensitive area).
Use disposable gloves and dispose of them often. Remember that as you lean
into your work, you may end up with some on your clothes. Like at waist
level. Like, that's part of the above-mentioned story.

One trick I found that worked well I learned while (gasp!) acually
stripping a plane. Use a paint brush to apply to a manageable area (3x3).
Then, lay platic wrap (Saran, etc) over it. This lets the stripper do it's
job longer before some of the good stuff in it evaporates. It easily
doubles the stripping action you get per treatment, and yes, we had to
apply more than once to the same area. Wipe the stripped paint off with
plastic blade followed by paper towels. Rinse thoroughly with water. Rinse
a lot. It will get into crevises and will only come out with losts of
water. Then dry, etch, and prime.

Good luck. It is a really messy job. You can make it less so by having a
large garbage pail handy. Dispose of all the paper, gloves, and paint as
waste is generated. BTW, why did you choose to strip? If the old paint is
holding firm you could just sand it to give the respray something to grip.

On another topic (OAT?) Did you ever find a source for pos. earth radios?
The world wants to know!!

Jeff

>Frank Clarici wrote:
>
>> Amy
>>
>> Aircraft stripper is one good one, there are many others. All work about
>> the same, Ok for indoor use but keep a window and fan on, not too stinky.
>> > 67 Sprite Mk IV
>>

>Frank,
>
> I picked up a gallon of airplane stripper today. This should be fun : ^ }
>

>Amy
>67 Sprite MkIV

Jeff Boatright
Editor-in-Chief, Molecular Vision