Re: FCC and Email

To: William Chapman <bchapman@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: FCC and Email
From: Randell Jesup <Randell.Jesup@scala.com>
Date: 22 Jan 1998 18:12:30 -0500
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
William Chapman <bchapman@adelphia.net> writes:
>READ READ READ...........I deleted the long list that accompanied this
>E-mail. Very Important for the Future of the internet!!!!!
>
>    Subject: TELEPHONE INTERNET CHARGES
>      Date:  Sun, 11 Jan 1998 16:51:31 +0000
>      From:  franke10@bellatlantic.net
>        To:  TDW@CYBER-QUEST.COM, Virginian <pwimsey@win.bright.net>,

[snip]

>required to pay additional per minute charges. The FCC has created an
>email box for your comments, responses must be received by February 13,
>1998. Send your commentsto isp@fcc.gov and tell them what you think.

        This is a false alert.  From PCWorld.com:

Flood of E-Mail Puzzles FCC
by Brian McWilliams, PC World News Radio
January 21, 1998

The Federal Communications Commission today was calling "misguided" a
message circulating on the Internet that says the agency may implement a
per-minute fee for Internet users. The message urges Internet users to e-mail
the FCC in protest.

According to Paul Misener, chief of staff for FCC commissioner Harold
Furchtgott-Roth, the FCC has no such plan in the works: "We're not
considering this internally," Misener says. "The FCC decided in early May that
it would not allow local exchanges to assess access charges on service
providers--in other words, it kept the long-standing decision. This recent flood
of e-mails is most puzzling."

[end quote]

        This appears to be a reoccurrance of an alert from _last_ winter,
with the year changed by someone.

        Anyone considering sending out (or forwarding!) an alert should
check http://www.kumite.com/myths first (it's updated daily and also covers
flareups of chain-letters like this).  Also, never send (or forward) an
alert unless there's both an end date _and_ a way to check the validity of
the alert (and do check it).  Also, the organization sponsoring it should
be listed including contact info (and checked).

        There have been too many virus hoaxes, never-ending "alerts"
(french nuclear testing, PBS funding will be ended, etc) to forward things
blindly.

        It's too late for this time, of course (you can never really get
ahead of these things), all you can do is try to innoculate people against
the next virus hoax or "bad" chain-alert that comes down the pike.

--
Randell Jesup, Scala US R&D, Ex-Commodore-Amiga Engineer class of '94
Randell.Jesup@scala.com