Cam/timing question, 1500

To: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Cam/timing question, 1500
From: "William West" <will_thane@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 17:52:22 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Greetings!

Thanks to Ulix for pointing out that this list exists!

I'm hoping someone can help me with the following question. First some
background. Inherited this 78 Midget project a year and a half ago. Engine
is in the living room being assembled much to the chagrin of my very patient
wife. This is my first time ever for this sort of work, having never delved
beyond head gaskets before.... with that said:

I am now at the point of installing cam, cam gear and timing
chain. Oil pan off, head still off.  Problem; the manuals keep telling me to
refer to my center punch mark that should have been put on the end of the
cam to locate it relative to the crank.  Unfortunately, I don't have the
original cam as PO used it on another rig and left me with the brand
spanking new Kent Cam kit, hence no centerpunch mark to align by.  There is
a section machined out of the new cam, but I don't know what purpose it
serves...alas... Ok guys, what arcane knowledge do I need to properly set up
my cam/timing?  Help!

Thanks in advance!!!!!
Will
Who is very close to having an engine!!!!