REAR AXLE SEALS

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: REAR AXLE SEALS
From: Daryl May <mayfam@sprynet.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 15:11:22 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Struggling to understand whether my Bugeye rear axle is in good shape or
not, bearing in mind that this is a restoration from an unknown PO.

The VB and Moss catalogs show an oil seal outboard of the wheel
bearing.  The car and the Haynes manual show this oil seal inboard of
the wheel bearing.  (I am not referring to the O-ring, which is
definitely outboard.)

The car has no evidence of an outboard oil seal.  If this is right, the
bearing should run in grease rather than axle oil, and the presence of
oil in the bearing implies a bad oil seal?

Thanks!

Daryl