Re: crank pulley bolt

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, mumford@rpi.edu
Subject: Re: crank pulley bolt
From: pprofili@hercii.mar.lmco.com (Phil Profili)
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 08:42:30 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I had a 1500 12 years ago.  I was still a little 'green' as far as mechanical
work goes, but that car taught me a lot!  A friend of mine at the time had been
working on cars (spitfires and GT6s mainly) and helped me out a lot with advice.
I wanted to change the timing chain and had the same problem of not being able
to remove the pulley bolt.  His suggestion was to use a chisel!  Scared me
s**tless to do it - but it worked.  Didn't make much of a mess of the bolt
either (surprisingly).

I'm not recommending this method - but it may work as a last resort!  I'd
suggest replacing the bolt afterwards if you really want to do it this way,
though.

My apologies to the current owner of white 76 MG Midget reg no PAR 79R (if it's
still on the road - it was a bit of a rust bucket) with the slightly mangled
crankshaft pulley bolt!

> From spridgets-owner@autox.team.net Sun Feb  8 01:31:51 1998
> Subject: Re: crank pulley bolt
> To: "spridgets@Autox.Team.Net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
>
> > If the engine is in the car, put a 1 5/16" socket on the nut
>
> For a 1500 engine this won't work - there's no way in hellfire you're
> going to get a socket on that nut with the steering rack sitting there
> in front of it.
>
> It appears I did my timing wrong and now that the engine is in the car,
> I am faced with taking that nut back off again.  Not a fun prospect.

>  __.o,\____  *       Eric Mumford          *   ('v')  -> BA-KUK!
> /__ \ /  _ ) *      mumford@rpi.edu        *  ((   ))
>  (+)`---(+)  * http://travolta.stu.rpi.edu * --"---"--o

 |.___/    ""-.____/ |      /| Email: pprofili@hercii.mar.lmco.com   |