Re: NO LBC -- WAY OFF TOPIC

To: "Richard D. Arnold" <richard.arnold@juno.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: NO LBC -- WAY OFF TOPIC
From: "Ron Soave" <redlotus@spacey.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 21:18:43 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Kids are asleep, Bugeye's running good, wife has a headache, already worked
out - nothing else to do:

A. 60/5 = 12 mph; 60/4 = 15 mph; 60/3 = 20 mph, etc.
B. 1mph = 1.47 ft/sec;  @ 3.5 mph walk, that's 5280 ft / hr * 3.5 = 18480
ft / hr = 308 ft / min = 5.13 ft / sec, so about 1.2 seconds.
C. Assume 12 mph "rush" (= very fast run =5min mile) = 12 * 1.47 = 17.64 ft
/ second, 6 feet in .33 seconds
D. Guess: 1.5 mph (less than 1/2 forward walking speed)
E. No clue - I'm a pacifist (who builds warplanes for a living - didn't say
I wasn't a hypocrite)

Momentum, P, = mass * velocity.  You have to calculate the ballistics here.
 The momentum of the bullet may be high (low mass, but high velocity) in
relation to the person (medium mass, low velocity), and will slow him down.
 It also depends on what the bullet hits - not all the momentum will be
transferred to the person if the collision is elastic (ie what the bullet
hits moves, and the bullet exits the body).

Have fun,
Ron