Instrument Lighting

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Instrument Lighting
From: Greg MAHNEY <mahney@central.murdoch.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 10:47:14 +0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I've been spending a lot of time under my dashboard lately sorting out the
wires under there and getting the instrumentation lighting to work..  There
are a range of instruments of varying vintages and styles.

My concern is for the original dual guage and the fuel guage.  My car has a
wooden dash, undoubtably made by a PO.  It is made of pine and is probably
5/16 inch thick..  I assume those Smiths guages are meant to be illuminated
by a globe to their side which shines through that blue stuff on the side.
If this theory is right, I've got no chance of illuminating the things as
the bit where the light would need to shine through is embedded in pine.
Is my logic right?  If so, has anyone got a solution to this, other than my
present technique of using a torch!

TIA

Greg