Re: Instrument Lighting

To: Greg MAHNEY <mahney@central.murdoch.edu.au>
Subject: Re: Instrument Lighting
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 21:10:49 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Greg MAHNEY wrote:

> I've been spending a lot of time under my dashboard lately sorting out the
> wires under there and getting the instrumentation lighting to work..  There
> are a range of instruments of varying vintages and styles.
>
> My concern is for the original dual guage and the fuel guage.  My car has a
> wooden dash, undoubtably made by a PO.  It is made of pine and is probably
> 5/16 inch thick..  I assume those Smiths guages are meant to be illuminated
> by a globe to their side which shines through that blue stuff on the side.
> If this theory is right, I've got no chance of illuminating the things as
> the bit where the light would need to shine through is embedded in pine.
> Is my logic right?  If so, has anyone got a solution to this, other than my
> present technique of using a torch!
>
> TIA
>
> Greg

Simple solution....Find some later style gauges where the light bulb plugs
into the back of the gauge itself insted of off to the side.
1968 and on will be of the later type.

New gauges are also available from leading (and not so leading) suppliers.

--
Frank Clarici
Seeing all of you at Sprite Rush 98