Re: Troubles with Tacho

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Troubles with Tacho
From: Greg MAHNEY <mahney@central.murdoch.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 12:03:14 +0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Brian and others who have all tried to help me with this one...

Yes, I had considered that it was broken and that is why I have been trying
to figure out a test procedure.

My difficulties are exacerbated by not having a spare tacho to try, and not
even being able to pull the thing out of the wooden dash (but Yes, it is
earthed).

I still need some help with this, so if you have the patience, I'd
appreciate you reading on to see if you can assist me further.

On the weekend I  ...

Checked it was earthed - yes

Checked it got power through the Green wire onto the spade connector - yes

Screwed the plastic loop holder onto the little treaded post. Tried it with
and without my home made "U shaped piece of metal".  (it is quite tricky
trying to fabricate a part you have never seen!

## Question - has anyone got a picture of this part that they can refer me
to, or send to me?

##Question - what about a picture of the loop?

##Question  - is the U shaped piece of metal essential?

It turns out that the size of the loop can be varied as the wire slips
through the plastic loop holder.

##Question - is 1" in diameter for the loop right?

The way my loop natuarly falls, it is suspended parallel to the back of the
instrument and extends from the small post, upwards ie the opposite
direction to gravity. (I suspect that isn't all that clear, but I can't
think of a better description).

##Question - I know that one (white)  wire goes from the key, around the
loop and then onto the coil.  Therfore, if there was a break in that wire,
the car wouldn't start - right?

Given all the above, I figure that either

1.  My bit of "U" shaped metal is wrong (Highly Likely);
and/or
2.  My placement of, and size of loop is wrong (quite possible);
and/or
3.  The tacho is broken (that's what I'm trying to find out)

##Question  - can anyone think of any other possibilities?

Thanks again for all tha assistance I have received so far.

Greg