Re: Unknown SU Fuel Pump

To: Mark Endicott <endicott@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Unknown SU Fuel Pump
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 22:00:59 -0500
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

Mark Endicott wrote:

> In my big (and growing) box of spares I have found a SU fuel pump of
> totally unknown condition.  Is there a way to test it to determine if
> it works or is worth rebuilding?  I would assume that if the motor
> runs that would be step one and step two to look at the points and
> replace if pitted.  Can I pump fuel (or something safer) and put a
> pressure gauge on the output and measure it's output pressure and
> measure it's volume in a catch can?
>
> TIA
>
> Mark
> 70 Midget
> Nashville

Mark

Before you hook it up to a battery, check the polarity.
remove the cap, look for a diode, if there is a diode it is negative
ground.
(late Midget, MGB, Jag, etc.)
If no diode it will work either + or - grd.
(Early Spridget, MG, AH, Jag, Aston Martin, etc.
It it is a double ended (2 power ends) it is for a Jag or Aston Martin and
worth a couple hundred bucks if it works. Don't burn it up if it is a
double!

To be safe when testing a fuel pump use kerosene or diesel fuel which is
not as combustable as gas just incase you have a spark at the wrong moment.

Play safe
Frank

--
Frank Clarici