Re: Our LBC History

To: "Sprite List" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Our LBC History
From: "Jeff Church" <jchurch@exis.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 20:48:21 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Ah.  For me, there was no question about buying that '64 Sprite as my first
car in 1970.  Hell, it was my money (and my dad's money for the insurance)!
It all boiled down to the look.  How good I would look driving that little
BRG beauty.  Drove a many a girl around in that car (hood down of course).
We parted ways after a couple of years with no problems encountered along
the way.  Sold her for what I had in her. It was fun.

Then there was the BRG '62 MGA MkII during my college years.  I found her
peering at me out of a tobacco barn outside of Raleigh, NC.  The dash was
off with the wires dangling loose-ended, but that was soon remedied.  Here
again, it all boiled down to the look of the car --  absolutely gorgeous
with the hood stowed and the cockpit surround replaced with gloss finished
walnut (expertly crafted to match the original shape by my uncle).  All my
friends called it the "lady killer".  I played rugby at the time, so there
were always appreciative comments when I parked her near the pitch on match
day.  Unfortunately, I gave her away for $750 when I graduated in '77.  A
sad day, but I was in need of reliable long-distance transportation at the
time.  I ended up buying a friggin' Fiat Spider.  It looked good, but it
just wasn't the same.

I hit a long LBC dry spell after that.  The dry spell broke this summer with
the purchase of my RED '59 Bugeye. It's not the MGA I was looking for, but
it sure was a lot less expensive and is a hoot to drive.  Hey -- the feeling
is back -- Ahhhh.  And so is -- the look.  I'm obviously a visual type of
dude.

Have fun, Drive Healeys!

Jeff Church