Re: WHAT'S A DATSUN 210?

To: "Patton Dickson" <kpatton@worldnet.att.net>, "Steve Obert" <sobert@snet.net>
Subject: Re: WHAT'S A DATSUN 210?
From: "Daryl May" <mayfam@sprynet.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 18:22:01 -0800
Cc: "Greg MAHNEY" <mahney@central.murdoch.edu.au>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
The Datsun 210 box that Rivergate sells an adaptor kit for is apparently
identified thus:

It comes from a 1979-1982 Datsun 210, not 310, not B210.
Both input and output shafts have 13/16 inch diameter and 18 splines.
The serial number on top of the bellhousing will start with the letter F.

You may find the same gearbox on other models of Nissan.  It's appropriate
to a 1200 cc engine, rear wheel drive obviously, and you'd want to be sure
you got a 5-speed (in case 4-speed also existed).

With the gearbox, get the shift lever, throwout bearing carrier and fork,
and output yoke.

The B210 has a larger engine and gearbox, and the 310 is front-wheel drive
transverse (if I remember right).  The B210 gearbox requires
cutting-and-welding the car body, and the Rivergate adaptor kit is not for
this gearbox.  But it may be tougher.

You can reach Bill Perry of Rivergate at rivergate@compuserve.com, and he's
helpful.  He will probably know what version of Nissan the gearbox appeared
in on non-U.S. Nissans.

Daryl

----------
> From: Patton Dickson <kpatton@worldnet.att.net>
> To: Steve Obert <sobert@snet.net>
> Cc: Greg MAHNEY <mahney@central.murdoch.edu.au>; spridgets@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: WHAT'S A DATSUN 210?
> Date: Friday, February 27, 1998 5:27 AM
>
> No it is a 210, and not a B210, thought that transmission can be made to
work it
> requres modifications. If there is a B310 that works I have never heard
of it
> and Billy Perry ar Rivergate does not mention it in his literature.
>
> Steve Obert wrote:
>
> > The exact model number is B310.  Not exactly sure what name the were
> > marketed under outside the US but Sunny seems possible.
> >
> > At 11:40 AM 2/27/98 +0800, Greg MAHNEY wrote:
> > >I guess my fellow Aussie listers may be most help here, but
recognising the
> > >resourcefulness of the whole list here goes...
> > >
> > >The use of a 5 speed box from a Datsun 210 sounds great, but I don't
think
> > >they were ever marketed in Australia under that model name.  Can
anyone
> > >help me to identify one of these boxes?
> > >
> > >Thanks once again
> > >
> > >Greg
> > >

> --
> Patton Dickson---Dallas, TX---1967 A-H Sprite---H-AN9-L/69437
> My Sprite Site http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Shores/1256/page2.html
>
> Hey LBC'ers come to Spriterush - Carlisle PA, May 11-14
> Go to http://www.exit109.com/~spritenut for more information
> Sprites-Midgets-Minis-Minors-Big Healeys-MG's other BMC models are
welcome.